Thursday, April 3, 2014

Ab Ovo Usque Ad Mala - From the Egg up to the Apples (From Soup to Nuts)

Ab ovo usque ad malaFrom the egg up to the apples(I.e., from start to finish, akin to “From soup to
nuts”)
Horace,
Satires 1.3.6

  
This proverb is a nice way to lock in the ablative singular neuter form (following the preposition a/ab), as well as the valuable phrase "usque ad," meaning, "up to." (From which comes French jusqu'à and Spanish hasta.

http://www.keithmassey.com/masseybooks.html
To learn more about Latin, visit the Latin resources page on my website.

I have a collection of other Latin quotes there that you can explore.

If you'd like to support my blog or the Latin language resources on my pages, please purchase one of my books. Click on the book cover to explore them further.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis