Thursday, January 8, 2015

I Hereby Post To The Internet An Image Of Muhammad

I went to work at the Top Secret National Security Agency after 9/11. I served our country as an Arabic linguist, which included time in Iraq in 2004, for which I was awarded the Global War on Terrorism Civilian Service Medal.

Like all of you, I am reeling from this senseless attack in Paris. And in this post, I will include an image of Muhammad. You see, it was for that simple act that the employees of Charlie Hebdo were murdered. And so, I feel I need to do the same. 

To truly stand in solidarity with them we need to share their risk. We need to do the very thing they did for which they were murdered. It isn't enough to just tweet "Je Suis Charlie." 

Post a Picture of Muhammad. That's what I'm going to do.

But before I do, let me tell you something very important. I worked at the NSA. And working alongside me there were patriotic Muslim Americans. These are men and women of Arab descent, faithful Muslims, who love America and are honored to offer their linguistic talents to defend our liberty and way of life against the abomination and perversion of the terrorists who soil the name of Islam and the Prophet they pretend to defend.

Therefore, I do not post a picture of Muhammad to the Internet with any animosity toward the religion of Islam. I have known and know honorable adherents to that Faith. This is not about Islam.

And so, I hereby post to the Internet an image of Muhammad. This is a recent cartoon by the talented cartoonist David Fitzsimmons. You see, while his twitter post uses the hashtag #JeSuisCharlie, his cartoon actually depicts Muhammad.


And he depicts him as devastated and deeply disappointed by the violence done in his name.

But make no mistake. Mr. Fitzsimmons has depicted Muhammad in this cartoon. And that is the very "crime" for which the staff of Charlie Hebdo were murdered. 

And I will not let Mr. Fitzsimmons stand alone

So, Mr. Fitzsimmons, I repost this and praise your courage in releasing this cartoon. I stand beside you. Come against him, come against me.

Join me. Repost this (giving Mr. Fitzsimmons appropriate credit, of course). 

Liberty is worth dying for, people.

But they can't kill us all. (I mean, unless you let Mr. Fitzsimmons and me stand alone...)


No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis