Sunday, October 30, 2016

Learning Latin with Pope Francis - October 30, 2016

To visit my archive of Latin Papal Tweets, go to my main page. 

October 30, 2016



Here's a literal translation of the Latin: Pray, please (lit. I will love you) that my journey into Sweden may foster the unity of all Christians.

And here's how the grammar of this Latin tweet works:


Latin
English
Parsing
Grammar Points
Orate
Pray
pl. imper. verb
ōrō, ōrāre, ōrāvī, ōrātus
vos
you
acc. pl. pronoun
vos, vestri
amabo
I will love
1st pers. sing. fut. act. ind. verb
amo, amare, amavi, amatus
ut
that
conj.
iter
journey
nom. sing. neut. noun
iter, itineris
meum
my
nom. sing. neut. poss. adj.
meus, mea, meum; modifies iter
in
into
Prep. + Acc.
Svetiam
Sweden
acc. sing. fem. place name
Svetia, Svetiae
unitati
the unity
dat. sing. fem. noun
unitas; unitatis; object of verb faveat
faveat
may foster
faveō, favēre, fāvī, fautus ; takes dative object unitati
omnium
of all
gen. pl. masc. adj.
omnis, omne; modifies christianorum
christianorum
(of) christians
gen. pl. masc. adj.
christianus, christiana, christianum

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis