Saturday, May 24, 2014

Learning Latin with Pope Francis - May 24, 2014

I'm launching today a series of posts in which I will offer grammatical explanations of the tweets from the Latin feed of Pope Francis, Bishop of Rome.

I'll study all the new posts and catch up over time on older posts. A full list of these will be housed at my main page. I'll be posting the Latin and corresponding English post together and then offering grammatical thoughts.



Literal translation of the Latin: Dear friends, I ask you to accompany me, with prayers, (as I am) making a holy pilgrimage into the Holy Land.

First off, the Latin is a much dearer thought than the English. You pray for the Pope and thereby accompany him on the Pilgrimage! Rest assured, Your Holiness, you are in my prayers.



Here's how the Latin works.

Latin
English
Parsing
Grammar Points
 Dilecti
 Dear
 nom. pl. adj.
 dilectus, dilecta, dilectum; modifies amici
 amici
 friends
nom. pl.
 amicus, amici
 rogo
 I ask/pray
 1st pers. sing. pres. ind. act. verb
rogo, rogare, rogavi, rogatum
 vos
 you
 acc. pl.
 vos, vestri
 ut
 that, so that, in order that

 governs comitemini in purpose clause
 precibus
 (with) prayers
 abl. pl.
 prex, precis
 me
 me
 acc. sing
 ego, mei
 comitemini
 may you accompany
 2nd pers. pl. pres. subj.
 comitor, comitari, comitatus
 sacram
 holy
 acc. sing.
 sacer, sacra, sacrum; modifies peregrinationem
 peregrinationem
 pilgrimage
 acc. sing
 peregrinatio, peregrinationis; direct object of facientem
 in
 into
 Prep. + acc

 Terram
 Land
 acc. sing.
 terra, terrae; follows in
 Sanctam
 Holy
 acc. sing.
 sanctus, sancta, sanctum; modifies terram
 facientem
 making
 acc. sing. pres. act. part.
 facio, facere, feci, factum; modifies me

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis