Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Review of "A Funny Thing Happened at the Way to the Forum" at the Two River Theater in Red Bank, NJ

I took my Latin III and IV classes to a performance of the musical "A Funny Thing Happened at the Way to the Forum" at the Two River Theater in Red Bank, NJ today.

First off, the theater staff were enormously helpful with accommodating our group. Jill Merriman, the group and advertising manager, was attentive and welcoming to our group. I simply cannot praise the theater staff enough.


In the course of my Latin classes, we watch the 1966 (the year I was born!) movie version of "A Funny Thing Happened at the Way to the Forum" when we complete Stage 5 of Book 1 of the Cambridge Latin Course.

It's a great movie, but when one of my students found that a live performance of the musical was happening one hour from our school,  a field trip was organized (much more by her than me).

The show we saw today was a string of huge smiles and belly laughs. The actors--by a fun twist all male, even when playing female characters--were a revelation. Director Jessica Stone created a fresh and welcome take on this show. 

As I write this, the show runs only two more days. But I am confident that the talented actors I was so richly entertained by today will be appearing on other stages regularly.

But I want to repeat, the stage at the Two River Theater in Red Bank, NJ is worthy of the greatest talent. As it was today.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis