Thursday, February 25, 2016

Quotes from the World's Most Interesting Man: Latin Translations

Translating the classic memes from the World's Most Interesting Man are fairly straightforward.

"I don't always drink beer. But when I do, I prefer Dos Equis."

Non semper cerevisiam bibo. Sed ubi eam bibo, duos equos praefero.




For "Stay thirsty, my friends," I spent a bit of time researching what exactly the phrase "Stay thirsty" really means. The stock translation using the verb maneo, manere didn't seem to really be the point of the English. "Stay thirsty," in this Ad Campaign seems to mean, "Be thirsty and proud to therefore drink a Dos Equis."

A delightful quote by Martin Luther came to mind that guided my verbal selection.

Esto peccator et pecca fortiter. Sed fortius fide et gaude in Christo.
"Be a sinner and sin bravely. But more bravely have faith and rejoice in Christ."
Letter to Melanchthon, August 1, 1521

If any of my students are reading this post, I hope you saw that enormous 'I' in the word fortius and therefore knew that it was a comparative adverb!

For certain theological reasons, I commune in the Eastern Orthodox Church. But I am grateful for my Lutheran upbringing and this quote from Luther is a treasure of grace.

And so, I decided that the imperative of esse does indeed capture what the meme means by "Stay thirsty." The plural imperative is este.

"Stay thirsty, my friends."
Este sitientes, mi amici.




Crafting yet more Latin translations of classic memes. Stay tuned.


________________________________________________________________


https://www.amazon.com/Saecula-Saeculorum-Keith-Massey/dp/0984343253?ie=UTF8&creativeASIN=0984343253&linkCode=w00&linkId=5WIF2DJM6ZHW3LFX&redirect=true&ref_=as_sl_pc_tf_til&tag=keitmassintea-20
If you're interested in Latin or ancient history, or even just an entertaining read, check out the time-travel thriller In Saecula Saeculorum. Click to learn more.

It's a bargain at 0.99 cents on Kindle (or affordably priced at $11.90 on paperback). 

You'll travel back to ancient Rome on a harrowing mission to save the modern world. It's the adventure of four lifetimes.

________________________________________________________________






No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis