Sunday, December 1, 2019

A Latin Language Version of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer

I have been on a hiatus from producing new Latin cover songs ever since I was ordained a cleric in the Russian Orthodox Church. Balancing the demands of my full-time teaching job and my parish responsibilities had for a long time knocked me out of production mode on what I do truly adore doing--making videos both fun and educational for the promotion of Latin language learning.

But I'm back!  Last Sunday I uploaded the first language tutorial video in, well, a very long time. I chose the Supine.

And now, today, I upload the first of what will be regular new Latin language cover songs. (A cover version of "Yesterday" by the Beatles is getting final touches.)

Since we have entered the holiday season, what would be more fitting than a Latin language cover of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer!

There are multiple translations out there, all good in various ways. And rather than reinvent the wheel, I did not make a new translation of the whole thing. I decided to go with Eddie O'Hara's translation for two reasons. First, he is so brilliant and his translations are both spot on and also perfectly singable. Secondly, I don't like using the work of anyone I can't acknowledge, and the other good translations out there are untraceable regarding their creators.

I had previously made a tribute video to Mr. O'Hara and used his translation for a cover song of the Beatles song "From Me to You."

If you aren't already acquainted with him, Eddie O'Hara was a former Latin teacher turned Member of the British Parliament. He turned his love of both Latin and learning into a collection of translations that he shared with students. Click here to see an archive of Mr. O'Hara's work, as well as its influence on Pete Atkin.

Mr. O'Hara had not, however, translated the prologue. So I am honored, having translated that little bit, to share translator credit with him.

And so, here it is. A Latin language version of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.









No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis