Thursday, February 5, 2015

Learning Latin with Pope Francis - February 3, 2015


To visit my archive of Latin Papal Tweets, go to my main page.

February 3, 2015




I'm very disappointed to report that this contains a clear typo in the Latin. The gerund form should be convertendum, not convertedum. 

I forgive them. Indeed, as the post asserts, I am certainly a sinner. But when you put out the Pope's Latin tweet, you have a responsibility to make him look his best. I don't understand how this can happen.

Look, I'm Eastern Orthodox but I love this Pope. I stand willing to serve the Vatican as proof reader for the Latin Tweets of His Holiness the Bishop of Rome. Call me.

Literal translation of the Latin: We are all sinners. There is no one who is not called to conversion in his whole heart.

Here's how the Latin works:


Latin
English
Parsing
Grammar Points
Omnes
All
nom. pl. masc. adj.

sumus
we are
1st pers. pl. pres. ind. verb
sum, esse, fui
peccatores
sinners
nom. pl. masc. noun
peccator, peccatoris
Nemo
No one


est
(there) is
3rd pers. sing. pres. act. ind. verb.
sum, esse, fui
quin
who not

conj.
vocetur
is called
3rd pers. sing. pres. act. subj. verb
voco, vocare, vocavi, vocatum; subj. in indirect question
ad
to


convertedum (sic)
convert
acc. sing. gerund
converto, convertere, converti, conversus
toto
(in their) whole
abl. sing. masc. adj.
totus, tota, totum
pectore
heart
abl. sing. masc. noun
pector, pectoris
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis